- Online Fax >
How to Fax From Windows 8
Sending a fax from your Windows 8 PC or laptop might sound like a daunting task if you are new to communication over fax. We have composed this guide to simplify things for you.
This post will explain the various options of sending and receiving a fax from Windows 8 in detail. The first part discusses the CocoFax online solution. You can send and receive a fax from Windows 8 via CocoFax Web App. Another option is to use the CocoFax Email-to-Fax solution.
The second part discusses the possibility of fax communication through the Windows 8 default program of Windows Fax and Scan.
Part 1: How to Fax from Windows 8
1.1 CocoFax Solution
Sending a fax from Windows 8 has become a lot easier with the CocoFax solution. It is an online fax solution that enables you to send and receive fax easily from your Windows PC.
CocoFax is a reliable and secure way of sending and receiving online fax for free. It had been leading the industry for 12 years. CocoFax is endorsed by well-reputed media outlets including TechCrunch, Mashable and TheVerge.
There is absolutely no need for a fax machine, printer, toner or any kind of hardware, other than your Windows PC or Laptop. CocoFax offers two variants of its fax solution for Windows users.
- The first option is to use CocoFax Web App from Windows 8.
- The other option is to use the CocoFax Email-To-Fax feature for sending and receiving fax in the email inbox from Windows 8.
1.2 How to Send and Receive Fax from Windows 8 via CocoFax Web App
In this section, we are going to learn how you can send and receive fax from Windows 8 via the CocoFax web app.
Prerequisite: Get Free Fax Number via CocoFax Web App
- Get your 30-day free trial of CocoFax.
- Choose your free fax number.
- Enter your account details.
- Choose a suitable purchase plan and make payment.
- Note that you will not be charged in the first 30 days. Also, the registration can be canceled at any time if you do not wish to continue.
Now, you can send and receive a fax from your computer once you have got your free fax number.
Send a Fax via CocoFax Web App
- Login to the CocoFax portal.
- Click ‘Send Fax’.
- Enter the recipient’s fax number in the ‘To’ field, say 56875643445.
- Type in a message in the ‘Cover Letter’.
- You can add attachments attach files and documents to be sent.
- Click Send.
Receive a Fax via CocoFax Web App
- Give your fax number to the sender.
- The person can send a fax to your fax number.
- Login to your fax portal using your registered email address.
- Go to ‘My faxes’ tab > Inbox.
- See the received fax.
1.3 How to Send and Receive Fax via CocoFax Email-to-Fax Function
In this part, we will take a look at the CocoFax Email-to-Fax function.
Prerequisite: Get CocoFax Fax Number for Free
Send Fax via CocoFax Email-to-Fax
It is really easy to send a fax via the CocoFax Email-to-Fax option.
- Open your email client.
- Enter recipient's fax number in the ‘To’ field followed by CocoFax unique address i.e [email protected]
- Make sure that you type ‘cocofax’ and not ‘CocoFax’ as it would result in an incorrect recipient address. This means that the fax would not be delivered.
- Type in appropriate heading in the ‘Subject’ field.
- Type in your cover message in the body of the email.
- Click on the paper clip icon to attach any document.
- You can attach any document format including PDF, .doc, .docx, .xls, .jpeg, .png and others.
- Hit ‘Send’ button.
- Your fax has been sent.
- You will also receive a confirmation email stating that your fax has been sent successfully.
Receive Fax via CocoFax Email-to-Fax
We have seen how you can send a fax via the CocoFax Email-To-Fax option. Now, let’s take a look at how you can receive a fax on your email address.
What do you need?
A free fax number provided by CocoFax. Access to the email address that is registered with the CocoFax online fax service.
How to receive a fax via email?
You can receive fax directly via email by following below steps:
- Provide your free fax number to the sender.
- Go to inbox of your email which is registered with CocoFax.
- Look at the emails.
- See the received fax document.
- Open it and download attachments.
Don’t you think CocoFax is an amazingly simple, easy and accessible tool? Let us tell you something more gratifying about it.
CocoFax delivered faxes to the target successfully over the last several years. If a transition fails, the explanation would be either a busy signal, the fax machine switched off at the end of the line, or an incorrect fax number of the recipient. In theory, there will be no mistake at the end of CocoFax. Click here and subscribe to the 30-day free trial of CocoFax right now!
Part 2: Send and Receive Fax from Windows 8 Using Windows Fax and Scan
In this part, we are going to see how you can configure your Windows 8 machine to send and receive the fax.
You will need the following hardware:
- Windows 8 machine.
- A fax machine or a multi-purpose printer that has the ability to scan, print and fax.
- An active land-line phone line to connect the fax.
Prerequisite: Configure Windows Fax and Scan
- Go to the Start Menu.
- Searching Windows Fax and Scan.
- Open the program.
- Go to Tools > Fax Accounts.
- Click ‘Add’ to select the fax modem.
- Choose between Automatic or Manual Answering phone lines.
- You can configure some additional fax settings from the Tools> Fax Settings option.
- Once you have configured the hardware correctly, you can start sending and receiving fax.
Send a Fax using Windows Fax and Scan
- Open Windows Fax and Scan.
- Select ‘New Fax’ from the toolbar.
- You will be guided through the New Fax Wizard if you are sending faxes for the first time.
- Enter the recipient’s name and fax number in the ‘Recipient Name’ and ‘Recipient Number’ field respectively.
- You can enter a cover message as well.
- Attach the files that you want to fax by clicking on the ‘plus’ icon.
- When you have composed your fax, hit Send.
Receive fax using Windows Fax and Scan
To automatically receive a fax from a Windows 8 Computer, you will need to set up the service in Windows Fax and Scan by following these steps:
- Open Windows Fax and Scan.
- Select Tools > Fax Settings.
- The Fax Settings dialog box is opened.
- Go to the General tab.
- See Send/Receive options.
- Check ‘Allow the device to receive fax calls’ option.
- Once configured, you can close this dialog box.
- Go to the Fax> Inbox.
- You can see received fax files here.
Things to know
- The computer can only send and receive faxes via telephone and not via an internet connection.
- To send a fax, the device must always be on and connected to an active telephone line
- A fax machine or multifunction printer with ‘wireless’ does not allow you to send and receive faxes without a phone line. Instead, it only means that the printer and computer can communicate wirelessly.
Also Read: How to Fax from Windows 10
In this post, we have seen three faxing software to send and receive a fax from Windows 8. The first two solutions use CocoFax online fax services. The other method is to use the default Windows 8 program ‘Windows Fax and Scan’ for fax communication.
The latter method is not straightforward as compared to the CocoFax solution. It would require technical expertise to configure the fax machine and Windows 8 for sending and receiving the fax.
Moreover, the cost of hardware and maintenance is higher as compared to a nominal service fee of CocoFax.
Nonetheless, the ease of use and accessibility is undoubtedly provided by the CocoFax web app and CocoFax Email-to-Fax.
CocoFax is your choice if you are looking for an easy, quick and economical solution. If you want to keep it a bit traditional with the fax machine, Windows Fax and Scan is your solution for sending and receiving a fax from Windows 8.